Let’s face it….Ferris Bueller was right. The adolescent idol for so many of us said that life moves pretty fast and we dismissed it as mere hyperbole.
Life DOES move fast and most people I talk to are constantly searching for ways to get more done, feel better and perform at a peak level. So how do you SUPERCHARGE yourself?
Well for starters, take time to unplug. It seems counterintuitive, but taking time for you will actually make you FAR more productive. The much heralded “hustle” is actually not sustainable in the long-term and the Law of Diminishing Returns does apply. Plus, if you are dead by the time you are 50….was that really worth hustling towards?
So what else? Here is a list of other ways to SUPERCHARGE yourself….sustainably.
- Sleep – Quality sleep will have a HUGE effect on your performance. That includes work , fitness, family, etc. Poor sleep is also a very difficult habit to break. For most people, quality sleep means 7-9 hours uninterrupted. Eliminate distractions (phone, dog, light coming through windows) and watch how much better you feel.
- Systems vs. Goals – Think of systems as behaviors and goals as outcomes for many people. A system would be committing to prepping meals each week….a typical goal for people is losing an arbitrary amount of weight, say 20 lbs. If you don’t lose 20 lbs, you fail, plus it is hard to stick to when it is a number out in the future. A system like prepping your meals is far easier to control and succeed with. It will also likely help you achieve that outcome goal that you used to set.
- Eat to Fuel – Approach eating as a way to fuel your body for performance. That slice of pizza may be convenient or distract you momentarily from your stress, but will it fuel you to completely dominate your day? Without turning this into a nutrition blog…watch a few things closer. How is your water intake? How many processed carbs are you eating? How many bad choices are you making based on impulse? What does your intake of leafy greens and low carb veggies look like? Most people THINK they eat clean and healthy…but are shocked when they start to track their nutrition closer.
- Habits we Train are Habits we Gain – Get honest with what your good habits and bad habits are. Utilize reminders in your phone and helpful apps to keep you on course. There are apps for eating healthy, tracking sleep…there is even an app that grows a tree for you as your phone sits idle. The less you check it…the bigger your tree grows. It is called Forest. When you do stray off course….and you will, analyze WHY and HOW you can prevent it the next time.
- Be Present – Take time each day to get in tune with yourself. What is your stress level? Who helps it and who hinders it? How rushed and frantic do you feel? What can be done to calm yourself and/or eliminate toxic people? Taking those moments will pay off tenfold. And most people do not do it nearly enough, including me!
Zig Ziglar once said, “Your thinking today determines your performance today.” The beauty of the above tips is that not only will they supercharge your performance, they will supercharge your life.
Yours in progress,
Master Jason Nolan